Monday, May 08, 2006

I am an angry independent

I am an angry independent. I do not like our two party system to say the least. It presumes that there are always two answers to every problem, that there are only two answers to every problem, and that every responsible citizen must choose between these two choices, one good and one evil. It is not so!
Yet having said that I always vote conservative, except when the conservative is not- then I have been known to vote libertarian. I do strongly believe that government is at best a necessary evil, and it must be taken in the smallest possible doses. For those Democrats who would turn away let me remind you that your self-proclaimed father, Thomas Jefferson, said that government which governs least governs best. I do believe in freedom, and that means of necessity, governments fading from the picture.
I actually predict that the coming 06 election will be disappointing for Dems, but not only on these grounds. Will the American people really trust themselves to a party which says quit the fight against terrorism? I think not, surely I hope not. If they have modest gains I will be surprised but we do live in alarming times. Their recent rantings about wanting to impeach Bush after the election only confirms my prediction. Let them keep it up; they will become, as Churchill said, the government of the duds, by the duds, and for the duds. I do predict the salesmen will not be able to sell their soap this time.

3 comments:

JP said...

Hi Mr D,

Never stop fighting the terrorism.

There're certainly more than 2 solutions to a problem. You're more fortunate. Here in Singapore, we only have ONE dominant party (P.A.P), ONE SOLUTION to a problem (usually), and ONE greate leader Mr LEE KUAN YEW - for more than last 40 years!

In many places, elections are a 'walkover'! i.e. NO CHOICE like either the Democrats or the Republicans in U.S.!

If you've any anger, consider ours.

Patrick Davis said...

Well said, Mr Jipuo! I am humbled by your remark. I seem to remember an adage that says To a blind man, a one-eyed man is king.
Thanks
Pat

JP said...

Mr D,

Thanks. Some of us look forward to another party to 'check and balance' the People's Action Party (PAP). This' not to oust it but to make PAP better.
This will be a long road bcos the current opposition is far too weak.