Monday, June 19, 2006

Chris Thompson Perhaps an Unlikely Hero?

Chris Thompson- Perhaps an Unlikely Hero?

I do need to tell you that I had many misgivings about our war with Iraq chiefly because I have a Biblical view of those that hate the Jews, and figure if a people have 4,000 years to work a government out to their best interest, how can we relatively new democrats tell them different? I just did not think these people had the capability of working out a better government; I hope I was wrong, and there is accumulating evidence that I was.
Chris is my wife’s nephew- long ago (and in a galaxy far away) I remember spinning him around with my arms and carefully setting him back on the ground. When I saw him two weeks ago he was taller than me, returned from the war and going strong in his new job for GM.
Chris definitely impressed me because of one of the last times I saw him before the Iraq war he had the opportunity to early out. He knew that, and I reminded him of it, but he decided to re-up knowing full well that it was very probable he would be sent to Iraq. He spent his year over there, and I confess I wanted very much to debrief him, finding out all that he saw. What he came back with was less than a positive viewpoint, less than I wanted to hear, but we did not have time to go into particulars. I do remember that he threatened to write a book at the time- Chris?
Nevertheless he worked his time responsibly and rebuilt a nation torn to shatters by its evil leader. My hope is that he is able to put this into perspective and see the wonderful work that he did do. He left his wife and daughters for an unseemly time, lost his job in the process, and gave up much income. Heroic? Yes.
But that is just an opinion of an unlikely uncle who used to swing him around. I should have told you, Chris, the last time I saw you what I think of your wonderful work.

No comments: