Thursday, June 15, 2006

Tolerance in America

Tolerance in America
My wife has had her new SUV keyed twice in 8 months. The first time she had no identifying marks declaring her conservative views; she just had no license plate as yet. (A profound liberal told her how to remove the scratches from the keying.) The second time she declared herself a conservative in that she had a bumpersticker (in the interests of full disclosure, I bought it for her) that declared “Support the Troops”. The bumpersticker was stolen as the car was keyed yet again.
     What incenses me is not the damage to the car; I am sure that my wife much more worries about that, but it is not my car. Rather what incenses me is that there are so many people springing up in America who seem to deny tolerance; how ironic it is that they are coming from the party who prides itself on tolerance. Mark my words: there is a party of intolerance, and it is not the Republicans.
     My niece lives with her husband in the same town: they fear to express their conservative views with bumperstickers because such cars inevitably have their windows broken. What kind of US are we headed towards which has such intolerance? Give me examples of conservative intolerance (I am sure you can) and I will always condemn it.
     In the words of the great and famous Rodney King: “Can’t we all just get along?”
Evidently not, but it is not the fault of conservatives; liberals make a point of slicing and dicing those they disagree with. Can anyone say “Brownshirts”?

No comments: